Saturday, April 16, 2011

Vertigo


Ah Vertigo, one of my first Alfred Hitchcock experiences.  This is one of a select few movies that really helped me appreciate older film as I find the majority of it is so dated that it's just boring.

This movie really helps to show why Jimmy Stewart was one of Alfred Hitchcock's two main actors he worked with (the other being Cary Grant).  His work is phenomenal and you can really feel him slipping into madness throughout the movie's progression.  Not to take away from the rest of the great acting in this movie, but Stewart really stands out.

This is just a personal opinion (then again, isn't this entire blog), but I think this movie has one of the greatest twists of all time.  It took me totally by surprise when I first discovered what it was and it just made me love the movie even more.

There are plenty of great Hitchcock movies, but I honestly don't understand how this one didn't reach Psycho and The Birds level of popularity.  It is in my opinion far and away Hitchcock's best film.

The only thing I can take away from this movie, and it's really a nitpicky problem, is that if you've seen it recently it can come across as rather slow the next time around.  Other than that, if you haven't seen this, take some time and watch this masterpiece.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment