Saturday, September 11, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World


It's probably a surprise to some of you that I took this long to see this movie, but that just goes to show how infrequently I go to the theaters since I moved to NY. Hopefully I'll knock that off. Anyway, here's my review for MMMMMMMIIIISSSSSSTER PIIIL-GRIMMMMMM!

First off, this movie is without a doubt the nerdiest movie I've ever seen. Couple this with the fact that I was actually playing the original Legend of Zelda right before I went to see this movie and you've got one of the nerdier days I've had in a long time. Anyway, the movie follows Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) as he pursues Ramona Flowers and is chock full of gaming and pop culture references.

The soundtrack is pretty great if you like grungy, fast punk. All the visuals are awesome and for the most part the fight scenes have great choreography. The action is totally over the top and just perfect for this movie. Did you know being vegan gives you super powers? It's true!

Although this movie is targeted at nerds, anyone can enjoy it without getting the references. It's fast paced, funny, and very entertaining. There were a few aspects of the movie that were only briefly touched on, like the subspace highway scene, that should have either been expanded on, or thrown out completely in my opinion. That said, I really have nothing to complain about with this movie other than a couple of the fights having somewhat anti-climactic endings.

If you want a really fun movie with quirky, interesting characters and don't mind a gaming reference or a million, definitely check this one out.

Grade: B+

Edit:  After watching this again, a B+ just isn't fair.  The rewatchability of this movie is ridiculous and it's always great for background entertainment.

Grade: A-

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know. I explained why though. A couple of the fight scenes would've been a little better IMO if not for the gimmicks, and some things should've been expanded on a little bit.

    ReplyDelete